Technology is making it possible to find those lost keys with ease without having to call the commercial locksmith to re-key a single office door or an entire building. There are approximately a dozen key finding apps available to track down those errant keys, with more apps being introduced to the market all the time. But should you use them? Here are the pros and cons of using key finding apps on your office keys.
How Key Finding Apps Work
Most key finding apps come with a little electronic sticker or tag you can place directly on a key or key ring. The sticker or tag emits an electronic signal that the app picks up. Using your phone or tablet, you can track the keys using GPS or radar based on the signal the app is receiving.
The Benefits of Key Finding Apps
There are several benefits of these apps. The biggest ones include:
- According to the Wall Street Journal, the most sensitive apps can track keys to within a few inches of their location. Even less sensitive apps can get you to within a few feet of the keys.
- Some apps will tell you where your keys were last located, so you can go back there and re-trace your steps.
- The tags and stickers used with the apps are small and won't get in your way or interfere with the proper use of your key.
- If your keys have been stolen, you can use the app to track down the thief.
- Apps are available for all mobile operating systems, so you can use them regardless of what kind of smart phone you own.
- You won't be locked out of your office for long when you need to get in, because you will likely find your keys quickly with your key finding app.
- Apps are password protected, so you don't have to be concerned about someone using the app to find your keys if your phone is stolen.
Drawbacks of Key Finding Apps
While key finding apps have some huge benefits, they also have some important drawbacks you need to consider before purchasing one. Some of the drawbacks include:
Some apps have tags you can share with others, so they can help you find your keys. This can be a problem if your relationship with that person changes, such as if you give a tag to a significant other and break up, or give one to an employee who gets fired. Security concerns regarding your office then arise from those people gaining access to your keys.
Apps can be vulnerable to hackers, who can use them to find your keys and break into your office.
The tags and stickers can be removed and put on other objects if your keys are stolen. You might track down a thief you aren't equipped to handle, especially if you go to find your keys alone.
Key finding apps are useful in making sure you always have access to your office. However, if the security of your app or the tags on your keys is compromised, it can put your whole office in danger of break ins and theft.
If your key security is compromised through the use of a key finding app, you will need to call a commercial locksmith to re-key your office, and maybe the entire building, depending on which keys were involved. If you use a key finding app for your office, keep the number of a trustworthy commercial locksmith in an easily accessible location to secure your office as soon as possible.
Continue here for additional info and to get professional help.